To be a prominent member of the Boston video company and Boston YouTube scene, Skillman Video Group stays in tune with the monthly ebb and flow of Boston culture. Thanks to the lively spirit of its residents, the city has a variety of events and occurrences, all of which provide great opportunities for a video marketing company to make clients stand out from the rest. We’ll break down some of our favorite months.
MAY Marketing Ideas
The city is overwhelmed with visitors in May, and most of these visitors are parents of college students about to graduate. Boston video production companies like SVG are essential for archiving these life-long memories, but this doesn’t mean multiple clients can’t capitalize on the influx of people. Uber did a clever discount for familes visiting town to see the ceremonies. There was a special code for each major college and university across the city, allowing Uber to fully take advantage of the temporary population boost.
JUNE/ JULY Marketing Ideas
- The Lawn on D area by the Waterfront district hosts weekly film screenings during the summer. From Rom-Coms to animated films, flocks of people gather from across the city to sit back on the grass and relax. Brand representatives can attend these screenings and pass out flyers or business cards.
- Independence Day in Boston is historically significant, so Boston video production on this day can be amplified due to cultural relevance. However, if not a video, a client can also sponsor the popular Boston Pops Orchestra concert that happens every 4th of July at the Shell amphitheater.
AUGUST/SEPTEMBER Marketing Ideas
As the flip side to May’s energy, August and September are also when the city has an influx of visitors, but now for new students arriving on campuses with their parents for the first time, or for returning students. This is a great time to break the mold with new customers in a new city, because they have no idea what the best deals are around. Domino’s Pizza has multiple partnerships with colleges to provide student discounts at the start of the semester, immediately putting the Domino’s brand in the mind of new students. While not everyone needs to provide a student discount, companies can sponsor college dorm move-in crews with custom t-shirts and other apparel to spread brand awareness. While a student may not immediately take notice, a parent will definitely remember the company sponsor that helped their child move in easier.
OCTOBER Marketing Ideas
- Due to its popularity, Oktoberfest may be overstuffed with sponsors, but that doesn’t mean the beer festival is lacking opportunity. Perhaps partnering with the actual breweries and beer companies themselves will create a chance for promotion, squeezing in brand awareness at a booth or such.
- Of course Halloween makes it on this list, because it is the perfect opportunity to show employees having fun inside or outside the context of work. If inside the office, take a break and let a costume contest run its course. Theoretically, one could go around scaring people for the sake of “brand awareness,” but this may be the one holiday where “getting in the spirit” backfires.
NOVEMBER Marketing Ideas
November signals the start of warm family gatherings and candid pictures. It also marks an uptick in city-wide support for community service. The Thanksgiving holiday motivates many regular citizens to contribute to food drives, which presents an excellent opportunity for a PR boost. Company employees can wear t-shirts with logos and slogans as they help at the Greater Boston Food Bank, constantly reminding people that a certain brand is giving back to its community. This is also great for Boston YouTube marketing, because feel-good public service videos are viral candy.
DECEMBER Marketing Ideas
With the holiday season in full swing and the snow starting to fall, Boston has a unique look and feel during this time of the year. Just around the corner from our office, Faneuil Hall staff sets up a massive Christmas tree that attracts tourists from all around. If clients aren’t able to hop on the community service train of November, it definitely carries over to December, so there is still plenty of time. Although for this month, someone higher up in management could dress as Santa for a major shopping center. Talk about community service from the heart.
SPORTS Marketing Ideas
- Boston has one of the most rabid sport fan-bases, so pay attention to hockey, football, and basketball season. This also includes college-level sports, which are just as lucrative when it comes to fan hysteria. For example, the Bean Pot college hockey tournament, which consists of multiple colleges across the city, receive national coverage and attracts thousands of fans that will get to see client logos and slogans.
- Dunkin’ Donuts runs a billboard campaign that lauds the Boston marathon, which is great for brand positioning because it suggests that the company is in tune with the city culture and is associated with such a popular event. On this note, the marathon in April is a great time for sponsorship and PR work.