Hey, Local Businesses… Get Ranked!
Hello to the business community of the greater Boston area! In case you didn’t know, local search has become a key ingredient in the marketing success of any savvy business in today’s current landscape. Local search is the use of a search engine with geographic constraints, such as looking for “Boston video production companies” or “Boston digital marketing companies” on Google. When someone searches locally, there’s an obvious intent: they want to find a business or service in their area. And they usually want to find it fast. Is your business or company having some difficulty showing up high in local search rankings? If so, you may need to begin focusing more on your local search marketing strategy.
The Basics of Local Search Marketing
The benefits of investing more time in your local search marketing strategy are undeniable. More investment = higher rankings in local search results = more business. When it comes to appearing in local search, there are a number of factors involved. Here are a few of them and some coinciding tips:
- Proper categorization in online business directories, particularly Google’s (for more, check out Google my Business and sign your business up).
- Your business’s name, address, and phone number needs to be “crawlable” on the website (meaning: allow your pages to be discovered and followed by search engines).
- Build/add citations with mentions on sites like Moz Local or a local chamber of commerce, etc.
- Get online reviews! Your business is much more likely to show up high in local search results if there’s good word-of-mouth roaming around the web regarding your business. 88% of consumers trust online reviews as much as personal recommendations. Look to sites like Yelp.
- Using geolocation to your advantage will increase the performance of your various marketing strategies. Don’t be afraid to play up your location and use location-specific keywords on your site and in your SEO plan (city, neighborhoods, landmarks, etc.).
Prepare for the Mobile Takeover
These days, one of the biggest and ever-growing factors in local search rankings is mobile optimization. According to an article from Search Engine Land, “Compared to last year, there has been a 25% increase in consumers that look for local information while they are out, away from home or work.” What does this mean? It means your potential customers and/or clients are constantly on the go and will continue to search for local businesses/services via their mobile devices. Target them and optimize your business/company (site, social media, content, etc.) for the mobile takeover. Without a mobile strategy, you will get left behind in the coming years.