The Undeniable Importance of Online Video
In this day and age, online video is irrefutably crucial in the marketing campaign of any savvy business owner. Think of how many videos are watched on the internet every singe day. A lot, right? No matter where you go, you’re likely to encounter a video of some kind.
What makes video such an engaging medium is the fact that it takes elements from a number of other mediums and combines them into something wholly appealing, accessible, and shareable. As an example, you think people rather read a how-to guide or watch a how-to video on YouTube? Video can turn heads and capture attention in ways that other mediums simply can’t.
Video content is a surefire way to improve your online efforts overall. You can never have enough. A portfolio brimming with video content is a true sign of dedication and professionalism, creating a greater sense of trust and authority. It also allows you to put a human, conversational face on your company, increasingly important in the business world of today. Here are just a few statistics to highlight just how important video content is:
- According to Brain Shark, 74% of all internet traffic in 2017 will be video. They also say that 52% of marketing professionals worldwide name video as the type of content with the best return on investment.
- According to Digital Sherpa, videos increase people’s understanding of your product or service by 74%.
- According to Video Brewery, on average, 100 million users watch online video each day, many of whom are looking for advice on how to do something, to buy a product or service, etc.
- According to Digiday, online video users are expected to double to 1.5 billion in 2016. They also say that 76% of marketers plan to add video to their sites, making it a higher priority than social media.
As evidenced, the benefits of video content are undeniable. It’s important that you don’t allow your business to get left behind.
Once you have your video and you’re ready to launch, you may be asking yourself, “Which video hosting site should I use?” While there are more than a few video hosting sites out there, it usually comes down to the big two: YouTube and Vimeo. Both have their benefits (and their pitfalls), so it’s best to weigh your options. In the end, it’s not about which is better, but which is best for you and your goals.
YouTube: The Pros and Cons
When talking about video platforms, YouTube is typically the go-to choice. It’s the most widely used video platform and also the second largest search engine behind Google (its parent company). Before you dive in, however, it’s important to look at both sides of the coin. Here are the pros and cons of YouTube:
- More than 1 million unique users visit YouTube each month
- 17% of all internet traffic flows through YouTube
- Over four billon videos are viewed every single day
- 94% of marketers use YouTube to distribute video
- Free to use
- A great platform for running paid advertisements
- More likely to show up in search results because it’s owned by Google
- Allows you no control over the thumbnail, the quality of the image, and so on
- Because there are so many videos being uploaded to YouTube, it’s easier for yours to get lost in the shuffle
YouTube is great if you are establishing yourself or if you simply want to get your content out there and want a number of views. See: How to Increase YouTube Views.
Vimeo: The Pros and Cons
While not nearly as big as YouTube, Vimeo is always right behind it in the conversation regarding video platforms. Here are the pros and cons of Vimeo:
- No advertisements
- Higher quality video; it allows you to set the quality
- Home to a more close-knit online community of professionals
- You can set the thumbnail
- Much less traffic than YouTube
- Less likely to show up in Google search results
Vimeo is more of a place to show off your work, better for B2B marketing, and great if you rather get your viewers to redirect back to your website or blog for further info.
Talking Points from “Which Video Hosting Site Should I Use?”
- People are always asking us, “Which video hosting site should I use?” Well, there are tons of video hosting sites, but Vimeo and YouTube are the most popular.
- YouTube: It’s first of all free to use. It’s also owned by Google, so naturally you’re gonna show up more in search results. Much better for SEO and especially if you tag it properly. Search engines wanna know what your video is. The tags are just gonna lead people to the video if you do it properly. It’s also the most widely used video sharing site in the entire world, so you’re just gonna reach a broader audience that way.
- Vimeo: So when it comes to Vimeo there’s higher image quality. No advertisements. You have control over the player. You have control over the thumbnail. So Vimeo is better for established business relationships. Vimeo is something you would send to other businesses. You would wanna show off your Vimeo content.
- So at Skillman Video Group, we use both YouTube and Vimeo for a number of reasons. YouTube is top-notch when it comes to SEO. Vimeo, on the other hand, we use for our portfolio because the quality’s just better, and it’s something we would rather show off to people.
- So when it comes down to it, it’s not a matter of which video hosting site is better, but, rather, what is right for your intent and your content marketing strategy.